Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Fresh Glimpse of Calvary

Don't Let Me Walk Too Far From Calvary



One of my favorite songs that the late Dottie Rambo penned is entitled "Don't Let Me Walk Too Far From Calvary."  That song without question is one of the top 10 songs she has written.  When I say top ten, I'm not making reference to popular hits, I'm making reference to the scriptural quality of that song.  That song has a message that every saved person should heed.  One of the reasons why many saved people grow cold and backslide is because they've not allowed Calvary to be fresh in their minds and hearts.  I believe we need to remember on a daily basis what Jesus did for us on Calvary.  Calvary isn't something we should remember only during Easter season or on Easter Sunday.  We shouldn't limit our remembrance to the price Jesus paid on Calvary when we partake of the Lord's Supper.  Calvary should be at the center of our thoughts and fresh on our minds every day of our lives.  He died because of our sins.  Our sins nailed him to the cross.  To read about the crucifixion of Jesus, you can read John 19 from the King James Bible. 
When I first heard that song, I was thinking about the scripture from II Peter 1:5-9 where the Apostle Peter exhorts us how important it is for Christians to add to their faith.  In verse 9 it says those who fail to add to their faith are blind and cannot see afar off and have forgotten that they have been purged from their old sins.  I believe those who fail to add to their faith have taken their eyes off Calvary.  They've become so familiar with Calvary to the point that it's just an historical event to them.  Calvary is personal to those whose hearts are right with God.  Calvary is real to them.  They realize they're the reason why Jesus died on Calvary's cross.  It's their sins that nailed Him to the cross.  Calvary is personal to the those who have been redeemed by the blood of the lamb.  A child of God whose heart is right with the Lord recognizes that he/she deserves hell and is unworthy.  God has performed a work of grace that no man could do.  God's given that person a divine nature.  As II Corinthians 5:17 says, any person that's in Christ is a new creature. 

We should never allow Calvary to grow old to us.  We should always remember what led Jesus to Calvary.  Jesus didn't go to Calvary because of the Jews or because of Pilate.  It was because of our sins that Christ died on Calvary.  Jesus willingly laid his life down.  Jesus said in John 10:18 "No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself.  I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again."  Christ was predestined to go to the old rugged cross before the foundation of the world was laid.  When Calvary ceases to be personal to us, then we are a good candidate for backsliding and growing cold on the Lord.  Let's remember fresh and anew the price Jesus paid on Calvary for mankind.

(Written by Dottie Rambo)

As long as I can see you hanging on a distant cross
Dying between two common thieves spat upon and mocked
As long as I can see your open wounds that bleed for me
That I can be what you want you to be.

But don't let me walk too far from Calvary
Don't spare the agony of Gethsemane
I might soon forget the death you died for me
That's why I pray Lord, don't let me stray too far from Calvary.

------------Instrumental--------------------

If I can hear the hammer ring and see your wounded side
If I can feel the pain you felt when you hung your head and died
If I can see forgiveness in your eyes of love for me
Lord I can be what you want me to be.

Don't let me walk too far from Calvary
Don't spare the agony of Gethsemane
I might soon forget the death you died for me
That's why I pray Lord, don't let me stray too far from Calvary
Oh, that's why I pray God, don't let me stray too far from Calvary....

(II Peter 1:3-10) "According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.  Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:" 

No comments:

Post a Comment