Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Dottie Rambo: The Gifted Songwriter of the Twentieth Century (Part 14)

Dottie Rambo Speaks About Her Marital Problems With Buck Rambo (Part 1)



Dottie Rambo Speaks About Her Marital Problems With Buck Rambo (Part 2)



He Changed My Tears to Showers of Blessings



Love Letters



I'll Only Love Him Forever



Home Never Looked So Good to Me



By and By the Night Will Vanish



Home's Where the Heart Is



I've Never Been This Homesick Before



I Go to the Rock



As I mentioned in last Sunday's post, Buck and Dottie Rambo had marital problems for a number of years.  That started surfacing  in the late 60's in the midst of their successful singing career.  When she found out about Buck's unfaithfulness to her the first time, she retreated to a coastline and it resulted in the creation of one of her most popular songs, "Sheltered in the Arms of God."  I don't know how many times Buck was unfaithful to Dottie, nor is it necessary for us to know.  I'm certain there were numerous things that took place in their marriage that the public will never know about.  It's not even necessary that the whole public knows all the details about their failed marriage.  The reason why I'm mentioning this is because a number of songs were created as as a result of the turmoil Dottie experienced as a result of Buck's unfaithfulness to her.  I have heard of at least three accounts of Buck being unfaithful to her.  The last incident resulted in divorce in 1994.  When asked about the incidents Reba Rambo McGuire said she saw it taking place back when she was a teenager but at the same time she was wrapped up in her own world as well.  She said it was traumatizing to see it happen to her mother.  She said there were so many issues that it seemed a huge monster was created. 

I don't know how many songs were created as a result of Dottie's heartbreak.  I am aware of at least three songs which were "Sheltered in the Arms of God", "He Changed My Tears to Showers of Blessings" and "Love Letters".  I personally believe many more sings were written resulting from Dottie's heartbreak.  Some of the songs I believe that were created through this scenario were "This is My Valley", "I Go to the Rock", "I've Never Been This Homesick Before", "Home's Where the Heart Is", and "Home Never Looked So Good to Me."  I don't have any documentation to prove my point but I'm just surmising.  I've watched a number of YouTube videos about Dottie Rambo for the last three years so I've had time to contemplate her whole life story.  I could be wrong but that's just my opinion. 

Back in the 1970's, Buck was unfaithful to Dottie again.  I don't know the background behind all of the heartbreaks each time Buck was unfaithful.  However, on this particular occasion Dottie went to the Ozark Mountains for a week in Missouri.  She spent a week there.  She was in a cabin for an entire week.  She had been crying incessantly.  The doctor had prescribed her some pills to deal with her nerves.  She had brought her Bible and guitar to the mountains.  She was in huge despair.  She became so bitter through this ordeal that she was having trouble forgiving Buck.  She had intended to take her life at the cabin.  She said in her words that she hadn't felt the Holy Spirit for such a long time.  She said without the Holy Spirit's touch there's no purpose for her to continue living.  She cried out to the Lord and said she wanted to feel Him one more time.  She said through that trial the Lord broke through and spoke to her saying, "I'll change your tears to showers of blessings."  She later penned the song, "He Changed My Tears to Showers of Blessings."  She also said the Lord forewarned her the road would be rocky but she didn't know when.  Another song she wrote as a result of this ordeal was "Love Letters," which would be the name of her new album she recorded in 1977.

There's another incident that took place later where Dottie tried to take her life overdosing on sleeping pills.  I believe this took place after Elvis Presley died.  Dottie had already filed for divorce from Buck.  She was almost at the point of taking the final step to make the divorce final.  However, she didn't have the courage to go through with this divorce.  Since she felt trapped, she made the decision to end her life.  On one particular day, Dottie's family was in the office.  She was by herself at the house.  She made the decision that day to end her life.  So that night she wore her nice silk pajamas, fixed her hair, and took a whole bottle of sleeping pills.  She thought she had taken the phone off the hook, but there was still enough connection for it to ring.  As the pills were taking their effect, she felt herself descending down a dark tunnel, according to her words.  All of a sudden the phone rang and it was her friend whom she led to the Lord in 1968.  Her friend noticed something was wrong when she spoke on the phone and her speech was slurred.  Dottie wasn't supposed to answer the phone but in her stupor she forgot she was to leave the phone alone.  Startled at Dottie's slurred speech, her friend called the ambulance and the ambulance rushed to the Rambo's home.  Dottie was transported to the hospital and her stomach was pumped.  Dottie's doctor, who was the one who prescribed sleeping pills to her and had been counseling with her some, was weeping.  He said, "Dottie, you promised not to do this."  Dottie said, "If you and the Lord could get me out of this hospital, then I'll run all the way to Heaven."  I'm paraphrasing somewhat.  It was through that statement that I believe she might have been inspired to pen the song, "I've Never Been This Homesick Before."  I don't know if that's true, but it sounds plausible. 

In the aftermath of Dottie's suicide attempt, she was determined she wasn't going to try to take her life anymore.  This will all end eventually, but she was going to spend the remainder of her life serving the Lord.  She would never attempt suicide again.  Dottie finally made the decision to save her marriage and refocus her efforts on the Lord.  Buck had placed a gun to his head and Dottie took the gun from him.  They had a heart-to-heart talk and they would renew their focus on Christ.  So for the next several years she and Buck would sing together as a duet and make many appearances on TBN in the early 1980's, when they moved to California.  She would continue writing her songs as well. 

Dottie and Elvis


Dottie Rambo had known Elvis Presley for at least 18 years.  She and Buck Rambo had both been friends with Elvis, as well as several other gospel performers.  J.D. Sumner, formerly of the Blackwood Brothers and the Stamps Quartet, was good friends with Elvis.  Elvis, who was dubbed as "The King of Rock 'n' Roll", also sang gospel music on the side.  He would travel to Los Vegas and sing with J.D. Sumner and the Stamps Quartet on a number of occasions, even up to his death.  I believe Buck and Dottie met Elvis around 1959.  I think it was at a Wally Fowler all-night singing.  Elvis would attend some of those gospel singings and sit in the audience.  Dottie and Buck over the years would travel to Los Vegas to visit with Elvis as well. It was said Elvis liked Dottie's songs.  Dottie said that Elvis was like a physical brother to her.  Elvis's mother Gladys died in 1958 and Dottie had a lot of similar qualities that his mother had, according to sources.  Whenever Dottie was having trouble in her marriage to Buck, she would call Elvis and tell lhim about the problems she was having, they would pray, and read poetry.  Right before he died, Elvis had agreed to record an album of twelve of her songs to help out with her finances at the time.  However, he only recorded one of her songs which was "If That Isn't Love."  He died shortly thereafter.  On the day that Elvis died, she was in her studio recording her latest album "Love Letters." 

Dottie said that Elvis made the statement that if he could do it all over again he would just sing gospel music.  However, the entertainment world had elevated him on a pedastal and he couldn't come off of it.  Elvis would later die a tragic death.

19 comments:

  1. Dottie Rambo's music has blessed my life since the sixties.
    I was blessed to hear the Rambos in concert.
    What a great anointing and blessing swept over that service when they sang.
    So sad about Buck Rambo that God let him be married to Dottie Rambo and he cheated on her.
    The greatest songwriter in the last over 100 years.
    May God have mercy on Buck Rambo for hurting the anointed and chosen vessel of God Dottie Rambo.
    I have to trust in God so I won't hate this person. And God in his wisdom and grace took her home and left him here. No it doesn't make sense but God is perfect..



    when they sang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled on your blog unassumingly as I was reading a blog on a political issue. I saw Dottie's name and started to read your post. It looks as if I've started to read in the middle of an essay you've already began. It blesses me that you have so many deep and rarely discussed facts and such. I was Dottie Rambo's manager and with her on the tour bus crash that took her life. We were family though not blood relation, she was like my mom. Thank you for studying Dottie because she was the very rare gem in a public ministry, the fact that she was the same offstage as she was on. Her life was lived for her calling and for her Lord. People meant more to Dottie than dollars and souls won and blessed for Christ were her reason for pushing through all the diversity that hit her life. These types of words have become cliche when speaking if a deceased minister, gospel singer or church member but in her case it really was the case. If you ever want to talk please feel free to reach out. My email is mrnashvilletalks@gmail.com and phone 615.319.0896

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who was Buck Rambo's second wife?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Mae Rambo. I think they got married in 1994 or 1995. They attend a church in Franklin, Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every now and then, I run across your blog about Dottie Rambo's life and ministry. Thank you so much for doing it! Your story line seems to be pretty accurate since most of these things Dottie has stated publicly. I don't believe we will ever have another person of Dottie Rambo's stature in songwriting in the body of Christ in my lifetime. I first was privileged to see her in concert in about 1968 at the world's largest Masonic Temple in Detroit, Michigan. By the way, how do I get to your first blog about Dottie so I can read them all? God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry I was very late in responding. I appreciate your comment. I started the "Dottie Rambo: The Gifted Songwriter of the Twentieth Century" on July 24, 2011. I posted about 24 or 25 posts about the late gospel singer and her music career. I think the last post was sometime in May 2012. I think it was no. 25. I hope you find them all and I hope you enjoy reading everyone of them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! Yes, I was able to find all your comments about Dottie Rambo. You might be interested in a brand new website that is still being perfected, but it is now out there as a legacy to Dottie. You can find it at DottieRamboFanClub.org. This new website will likely eventually link to your comments also, if that's okay with you. I hope to keep in touch. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you have my permission to link the new website to my comments about Dottie Rambo. I am definitely going to check out that new website. Thanks for mentioning it to me. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casting spells is a SIN!! Read your Bible! It's frightening that you would put yourselves in the hands of something that's demonic.

      Delete
    2. Dear Charles Moore: I like the fact you featured facts, as you understood them, about Dottie Rambo. As I said previously, we will likely never have another person of her stature in the body of Christ in our lifetimes. But why are you allowing comments about fertility clinics on this thread? And why are you deleting comments from Judy Strickland, who was a personal friend of Dottie's? It is a matter of public record that daughter, Reba Rambo-McGuire, and Dottie had problems in their relationship. I know they both loved each other deeply and most families have issues. But if you are going to write about Dottie Rambo, you need to allow true facts to be presented as long as they are presented in the right way. I did not see anything wrong with the comments Judy left. They simply modified and explained that Dottie only attempted suicide one time. Sorry, Charles, you can delete this comment, of course, since it's your website, but if any of your facts are wrong, your website is subject to lawsuit and you may not know this. I am just very disappointed you deleted Judy's comments since there was nothing in it that was un-Christian. God bless!

      Delete
    3. Dear Jerry Boor

      I don't know what happened, but I didn't read the latest comments that was on this particular post about Dottie Rambo until today. I haven't had internet in my house since late March and I don't have much of an opportunity to use the internet outside the house. The comments that were made about fertility clinics and casting spells I wasn't aware of until today and hopefully I deleted them. As far as Judy Strickland's comments, I didn't delete them. Somebody else must have been tampering with this blog. I wouldn't have had any problem with her stating them since she knew Dottie. I do know it was public knowledge that Dottie had relationship problems with her daughter. Anything Judy would've said wouldn't have been deleted since she knew Dottie. Most of what I know about Dottie has either been through what I read or the YouTube videos I watched. I don't know all the facts about her. I presented them as I knew them. I am fair gain to know more about her. I am sorry about what happened but I wasn't aware of what happened. I told Judy to repost those comments she had previously made before they were deleted. My sincere apologies about any confusion that took place.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Dear Judy Strickland,

      I don't know what happened, but I haven't read any of the recent comments about Dottie Rambo on this blog until today. I didn't know anything about the comments on this thread concerning the fertility clinic and casting spells until today. I apologize for that. Hopefully, those comments about the fertility clinic and the spells are eliminated. As for your other comments, I didn't delete your other comments you made about Dottie. Someone else did that. Somebody evidently must've tampered with the blog. I wouldn't have removed the comments you made about Dottie's relationship with her daughter Reba. I knew it was public knowledge. Having been her friend I know you knew Dottie and anything you would've said in your comments wouldn't have offended me. They would be in order since you knew Dottie. Are you the former Judy Bivins that sang with the Gospel Echoes from like 1959-1963? I'm sorry about the confusion. I'm sure Dottie probably attempted suicide more than once given all that she went through years ago. I presented the facts according to what I knew from watching the YouTube videos. and I don't claim I know all the facts about her. I'm trying to learn more about her. If you desire I would like for you to re-post the previous comments you made about her before they were deleted. I didn't delete your comments. I'm sorry about what happened. I've hardly been on this blog recently. I haven't had internet in my home since late March and I don't have much of an opportunity to go out to use the internet. My sincere apologies to you.

      Delete
  11. The comment by UNKNOWN is way better left unsaid. Yes, we have all sinned and come short of the glory of God, but those who knew DOTTIE RAMBO personally know she was a genuine Christian through and through and loved God and people. If you want to know what Dottie was like, contact LARRY FERGUSON, her manager who is available on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not on the blog very often and when I am many times I don't read the comment section, which I should do more often. I will check the comments section more often. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i can feel so much of God's love for us through her songs...and i like elvis songs as well..dottie, divorce, suicide attempt for a believer? it's sad but yes, I can just quote her song - "HE looked beyond my faults and saw my need".. same goes for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is only one judge, that is God our heavenly father. We have no right to set in judgement of anyone.

    ReplyDelete