Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Traditions: Christmas Trees

History of Christmas Trees — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts


     an outdoor Christmas tree

Two years ago I wrote a post about the Christmas tree.  One of things I enjoy about the Christmas holiday is the tradition of the Christmas tree.  Since I was a young boy I've always looked forward to the opportunity to set up the Christmas tree during the Christmas tree each season.  That tradition hasn't left me.  I still enjoy the opportunity setting up the Christmas tree today like I did several years ago.  I have a post from History.com that explains the origin and history of the Christmas tree.  Germany is noted with starting the Christmas tree tradition as we know it in the 16th century when "Christians" brought decorated trees into their homes.  Some built Christmas pyramids of wood and decorated them with evergreens and candles if wood was scarce.  It was widely held that Martin Luther, the sixteenth century Protestant reformer, added lighted candles to a tree.  Walking toward home one winter evening while composing a sermon, Luther was awed by the brilliance of the stars twinkling by the amidst evergreens.  To capture the scene for his family, he erected a tree in the main room and wired its branches with lighted candles. 

To read the details about the history of Christmas trees, click on the above link at History.com. 

O Christmas Tree



O Christmas Tree and its history



O Tannenbaum



Christmas Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment