Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 18, 2010

A National Holiday for the Black People

Ten years ago I was studying black history. I was reading some books about black history from the very beginning in 1619 when the negro people were shipped to America for the very first time until the civil rights movement in the 1950's and 1960's. I found it very fascinating. I had intentions of writing a book about civil rights issues involving the black people. I was going to write about the racial struggles between black and white people. As of to date, I haven't even come close to finishing the book. I just barely scratched the surface providing a historical background of the African-American race from 1619 until the early 1920's. Writing a book about black history and issues involving civil rights is a time-consuming ordeal. I had several questions in my mind as I was studying about black history. I was wondering how Americans could justify enslaving people of another race. I was trying to understand the mindset of America during that time. To me, that way of thinking was foreign to me especially since blacks have become more integrated into American society today. I was wondering why did Americans consider blacks to be inferior people. Why would anyone have the mindset that the color of your skin makes you inferior? I had come to the conclusion it wasn't so much the skin color but it was due to the type of country that the African race came from. Africa was totally different in regards to culture and religion compared to America during that time frame. Africa practiced all kinds of different religions. Africa is a tribal country and their philosophy and religion was foreign to America. That's why I believe many Americans had considered Africans to be inferior. I am well aware that most black slaves weren't allowed to read or write so they naturally would be lacking in skills intellectually. However, that wasn't the fault of black slaves because they didn't know how to read or write. They weren't given equal opportunities for education like the whites had.

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. day. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day was signed into law by President Reagan in either 1985 or 1986. Americans have celebrated this holiday since 1986. On this day the banks, the schools, public jobs, and even some occupations in the private sector are closed. Many educators, civil rights leaders, and many minorities pay homage to Martin Luther King, Jr. The momentous even for Martin Luther King came when he gave his "I have a Dream" speech in front of Lincoln Memorial on August 28, 1963. I'm not a fan of Martin Luther King, Jr., but I enjoyed some excerpts of his spech, especially the part where he said he had a dream one day when his children could live in a society where man will be judged by the content of his character instead of his skin color. We need to learn to not treat another race as a second class citizen due to his skin color. Any minority that's a CITIZEN of this country deserves the right to pursue life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If a minority is successful in business, he/she should be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor just like anyone else. They're just as much humans as the white people are.

Ten years ago I came up with an idea that on the day that we celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day we should expand that day to not only remember Martin Luther King, Jr. but any black person that's made great contributions to this wonderful country. I used to refer to that day as "NATIONAL AFRICAN AMERICAN DAY", but over the years I've heard some black people didn't enjoy being labeled as "African-American" I used to work with a black man that didn't enjoy the label "African-American". The reason why he didn't was because he likes to be thought of as an American; not a hyphenated American. I was listening to the Glenn Beck Show on the Fox News Channel last year and he was speaking with a group of black people and they made the same comment. They don't like to be thought of as a hyphenated American. They just want to be known as an American. They'd rather be called black. I would be in a habit of calling black people "African-Americans" because I heard the media use that term. But I understand their point. America should be one nation regardless of your race and ethnicity, where we should form into a melting pot. We are all Americans, period.

I've been thinking of renaming the title but I don't know of a good title. I've thought of "National Black Day", but I'm not overly crazy about that title. I'm at a loss for words right now. However, there's numerous black people over the course of American history that's achieved great things for America such as George Washington Carter and Booker T. Washington, for example. There's some black people that I greatly admire today such Dr. Thomas Sowell, Ellis Washington, Alan Keyes, Bro. Gerry Griffith, a pastor in Louisville, Kentucky. There are some great preachers that are black. Black people that are genuine Christians don't mind worshipping the Lord. Anyone that's attended a black church that's genuine knows that they are full of life and they worship the Lord. I want to take this time and salute all the black people in this country now and in times past that have made this nation great. Thank you for your contributions!

No comments:

Post a Comment